The Woman’s Club of San Antonio
This is an informational site, to visit the official site of the Woman's Club in SA, see the link in the sidebar.
The Woman’s Club is recognized as the oldest Federated Woman’s Club in the state of Texas, with over 100 years of accomplishments in community service.
The Woman’s Club of San Antonio was organized October 1, 1898 by Miss Marion Fenwick, Woman’s Page editor of the Daily Express, and Miss M. Eleanor Brackenridge, clubwoman philanthropist.
These ladies had a vision and the ambition to blue print what they felt was needed in the club life of San Antonio.
In 1995, The Woman’s Club received an official State of Texas Historical Marker based on its age and history, and received recognition by the National Registry of Historical Places on June 12, 1996.
Today the Woman’s Club of San Antonio membership is an ethnically diverse group of women ranging from 20 to 100 years of age. Annually, members contribute over 10,000 volunteer hours, award nine $1,000 scholarships and support local charities. Through the study and interest groups within the Club’s organization, known as Round Tables, and general and special meetings of the entire membership, the work of the Club is carried out to achieve our objectives toward the “mutual improvement and cooperation in all that pertains to the greater good of humanity.”
The club holds the distinction of being a charter member of the Fiesta San Antonio Commission. For more than eighty years, we have participated in Fiesta Week with our Annual Fiesta Flower Show and Teen Queen Coronation, and more recently as the sponsor of the Fiesta Hat Contest and Style Show Luncheon.